Mama Bear Came Out!
I don't think I've mentioned it before but last year I had to hire an attorney to help me mediate with our school district. A little background, Davis has been mainstreamed but in Special Education under the Autism umbrella for 4 1/2 years. He was diagnosed with PDD NOS (lame man's terms = high functioning autism) since he was 4.
Then we move to Keller (a new school district), they test him, and... they tell me he doesn't have autism! They think I should be so realieved to know that Davis does not have autism. Davis tested 3 digits above the autism allowance and therefore he will not be receiving any special accomodations and exited out of special ed and speech therapy. (Mind you this was after 45 minutes of talking about the 12 page list of his deficits.) To make a long story short, I exploded and hired an attorney that day.
I had my 3 hour ARD meeting this week and let's just say, Mama Bear Came Out once again! The director over Special Ed tried to imply that my phycologist (a new outside assemesment) lied in his report and was going through it line by line and refuting it. That was only in the first 5 min of our meeting.
I'll spare you the play by play but let's just say I had to get ugly. With my soul sista head nod and finger point, I let them know that under no circumstances am I going to let them negate my 8 years of hard work, structure, self-concept, and social skills training with Davis. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I've spent on therapies, special diets, and medical testing to let them overturn his diagnois to ADHD because they say so. I told them that obviously they have no idea who they are dealing with because they are kidding themselves if they think I don't fully intend to use every resource in my power to advocate for my son.
We left the meeting agreeing to let them do more testing around language and comprehension and meet again in a month.
After 100 pages of documentation, 4 doctors, lots of medical tests, play therapy, occupational therapy, etc. over 4 1/2 years. I don't know what will prove it.
I'm tired.
Comments
I'm glad you wagged your finger, girl. I hope it really scared them.
PS- I have a couple of cousins who have autism or Asperger's, which prompted a research paper on dietary intervention. Who knows, I may look into developing it some more for my upcoming thesis in a few years. Perhaps I could pick over your gathered information, or brain...
Davis' teacher called me afterwards and told me how glad she was that I was able to stand my ground in a room full of 12 people against me. I was so grateful for her call because this was the first time I had met my new Principal and second time to meet her. I was worried that this would hinder our working relationship but it has seemed to do the opposite and strengthened it. She related some nice things that the principal had said about me as well.
I'm relieved. I'll keep you guys posted. I really need to change my attitude and focus on the positive.
If you make your stand early and clearly I have a feeling that they will respect you in the long run.
I'm sure it is tough to be on this end of the coin. I ALWAYS enjoy working with parents that LOVE thier kids and will fight for them-
I will pray for you!
Do you ever feel like you just in a boxing ring and the bell rang for round 32 and you know you're gonna fall flat on your face any second? My only hope is that the opponent hits the ground first and leaves me standing.
I got a little hot under the collar reading this post and it isn't even my child! I love bear-mama's. They keep this world spinning the right direction!
I can identify. I raised a hearing impaired son and sometimes you gotta fight to get things done.
By the way I am dealing with a condition that is described as ??autism like symptoms?? (I have been through many conventional and alternative treatments and diets and found a book called "Battling the MSG Myth that is helping me - it may be of help to you.??)
As you know such diagnoses and treatments need to be considered with the individual person (child) in mind.
I am heartened by the facts that you have organised interventions for your son and go to bat for him in this way.
I learnt early on that nothing happens unless we MAKE it happen and drive the process.
My son has caused me extra efforts on his behalf.
I wouldn't trade them, or him, for anything.
All the best in all that you do