Work-hard-kinz

Katri posted a hilarious post about "Guilt-kinz". You've got to check it out and be sure to read the comments. Seriously, you guys are too funny! Gramma just sent the boys a box with a Webkinz for each kiddo. The boys are crazy for them!
I've been thinking about it for a little while and realized that they represent something completely different to me personally. Since my sister and I have become really close the last couple years we've talked a lot about our childhood. Usually I never even think about how I grew up, it just seems like lifetimes ago. Anyway to make this post shorter, I grew up poor but in a middle-class neighborhood. My dad told me later that he made $24,000 when I was in high school. I can't even imagine raising 5 kids on $24k a year. No wonder he asked my brother and I frequently for money for food for the family.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I feel so grateful that Jason and I have worked really hard, made the tough decisions, and focused on our goal of giving us and our children a financially secure life. So to me a "pop-culture" item like a Webkinz is such a luxury that I feel very blessed to be able to provide for my kiddos. They're "Work-hard-kinz" for me.
What are Webkinz to you? Work-hard-kinz, Bribe-kinz, Nap-kinz, Guilt-kinz
Comments
It's interesting to grow up and realize how much was sacrificed for us. How do we teach kids about sacrifice so that they don't become indulged? Or lazy? Or apathetic?
Very cute picture.
my daughter would love one but ii i bought one it would instantly be one for everyone so five people would have to have one. and then I'd never get a turn on the computer. so i am not starting that.
And I have to say, that I totally am with you on the whole "providing for your kids" thing. It's really scary for me (sometimes) to be the "MOM". I still feel 16 sometimes, and wonder who these small people are who keep calling me mother!?
All of that said... I love buying stuff for my kids and often have to pull myself back. I guess I know how I wanted certain things as a kid and it makes me happy to get it. (shallow? but true) My kids could probably care less about some of the things, and I try not to totally spoil them... but I can hardly help myself!
My favorite thing is taking each of my kids out one by one and buying them stuff. It doesn't have to be huge just little prizes. I don't get to do this very often, but today Kenzie and I went to JoAnn's. It was so fun buying her a couple of packs of stickers. I don't know what she will do with them, but she felt like the queen of the day for two packs of stickers! It was just a lovely time.
And I was able to do something for her that I would have loved as a kid. (granted, the boys are a little more difficult, but a little Star Wars, or Lego prize goes a long way!)
Rochelle posted about Love Languages a few days ago. I think that it is pretty obvious what my love lang. is... gifts! Please read her blog before you think me shallow. :)