13 Year Anniversary
Last Monday was my 13th year wedding anniversary. I'm not sure it was a coincidence that our Internet went down, my iPhone stopped working, and since we have Vonage we didn't have a working home phone either. (If the Internet is down - my home phone transfers to my cell phone. Oops.)
Unlucky #13 - maybe that explains my run of bad luck this year. Um - probably not. I'm a terribly unlucky person. However, there is one area of my life where I've been extremely lucky! And it started the day Jason convinced me to marry him.
Yes, Ladies it took a lot of prayer, fasting, and even a father's blessing for me to calm my freaking out head and listen to my heart. Jason chose me, worked hard to keep me, and we've been grateful for those early struggles ever since we got engaged.
I saw him at his worst and he saw me at mine. There hasn't been any surprises since.
I wouldn't get engaged until Jason moved back home, enrolled in school, and picked a major. He did and we were very young and very broke when we got married. But my mom made the gymnasium of our church beautiful.
We asked our wedding party to all wear black and white.
Lisa, Annette, & Michelle were my bridesmaids. My mom made their dresses and I still like them today.
The groomsmen wore white tux's with black lapels and ALL the father's wore all white tuxedos. Getting these "good ol' boys" in tuxedos was a true testiment of how much they liked me and welcomed me into their family.
Our first dance.
My mom also made my dress. I totally had to have "puff sleeves". I wanted a dress just like the one in "Little Mermaid". How silly is that? Ariel looked so fab with her puff sleeves and skinny waist. I had to do it too. {{giggle}}
My mom made the wedding cake. She even painted the little people on the stairs to match my bridesmaids dresses and hair color. You know I love OTT.
I love this picture of Jason. He's constantly putting up with my crazy ideas.
Who ever decked out our car were professionals. It took years for all the bird seed to get out of the air ducts. Geeze!
To this day, I consider this special moment the day I stopped sleep-walking through life and really started living it. Jason and I challenge each other and have worked together to have the life we have today.
We're so much alike. We fight the same, we like the same movies, food, and have the same interests. Together we have created a life that we didn't think was possible. I'm so grateful that he chose me!!
"J, I love you more than the universe!"
Comments
congrats!
Great post. Happy Anniversary!
di
Hope your anniversary was wonderful!
And you were a beautiful bride. Much prettier than Ariel!
It makes me very sad that I don't have a daughter to throw a wedding for. However, my hope is that one of my boys will marry a girl like I was. Hopefully she'll let me help pay & plan their wedding. {{fingers crossed}}
Thanks Diana for your comment. That's so sweet of you. Yes, it's true I adore my man probably more than I should. Since my boys are a little tough, I look to him for hugs, reassurance, lots of love, praise, and encouragement. He totally gets me and loves me anyway. ;)
I just wanted to repeat something you probably know so well: your mom is one fabulous gal.
Your blog is adorable and your children are beautiful.
Warmly
Patty (random girl in my 30's with 3 children, living outside of Dallas, trying to keep normal with a horrible upbringing)