Grandparent Post

I got so sick this week! Grrrr. I'm still tired, but feeling much better. Wednesday, Davis won 1st place in the Raingutter Regatta at Scouts. This is his second year to participate and 2nd time to win 1st place.
So much for the "Good Sport" talk we had before the race. ;) Needless to say he's so excited about getting another trophy.
2 weeks ago we got notification, in the school newsletter, that Davis won 1st place in a Holiday Card competition at school and will be representing our Region. I still haven't received any information, so that's all I know. We're very proud of him and it's doing wonders for his self-concept.

My dilemma now is what to do with the very competitive but less driven son? He most certainly has won the award for 'Most Red Days' in a row; as he continues to bring home discipline notes almost daily.
I need to think about it a little more, but I think I just might order him a trophy myself. He is the most helpful male in my home and so loving. He'll never win a trophy for those characteristics and they mean the world to me.
The reason this is an issue is because Davis has already won TWO 1st place ribbons for art work. Dylan is beginning to feel inferior.
Any suggestions?
Comments
di
I hate competition between kids. It just seems to make for the one who didn't win (whatever it is) left feeling sad.
Maybe have Davis think of something he thinks Dylan is good at and have HIM make an award for Dylan? It's nice to be admired by mom, but it's even more special to know that your siblings think you're cool!
I make awards on some free program on line for my kids.. for making beds.. being a peacemaker.. so that trophy idea.. i love!!!
hope you are feeling better.. never a great time to be sick!
So, what's the secret? You guys got the race rigged? Maybe bribe an official? ha ha!
It's always hard to live in the shadow as a younger sibling, an award for Dylan sounds sweet.
A trophy from his mom would be so cool and could acknowledge all of the good things that you love and appreciate in him.
Also, I understand that competition between siblings (especially brothers) can be intense. You know your boys best. I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be good. (You really are a sweet mom and you try so hard. Please give yourself a pat on the back.)
I am really happy for Davis and all of his wonderful accomplishments. How great!
If you do give him an award, Missy is right, Davis should be the one to come up with what it is for and present it to him.
I'm not a parent, but I am a teacher AND a Super Nanny Worshiper. I've read her book and I'm positive she'd agree!!