An Autobiography I Can Relate Too Much To

I just finished reading our last months book club pick "The Glass Castle". Afterwards it made me feel like I drank two Mountain Dew's it stressed me out so much. It took about 5 hours and a period movie to calm down my overly stimulated memory and emotions. Seriously, I was a little embarrassed afterwards because I was talking so fast to a couple of my friends while discussing the book.
Why was I so shaken? Because I could relate and had experienced some of the poverty and trials she had. I have been blessed with a terrible memory and therefore I have forgotten and pushed out the rest of the bad times. I feel like that's how I'm able to stay positive. I was telling my sister Lisa about the book and she kept bringing up stories of our own that were similar. Eeek!
I wouldn't necessarily recommend the book because it's so gritty, but it's very well written and engaging. The author has overcome atrocities no child should have to endure. She has also found her way to happiness and success and I applaud her for making the very best out of her life.

I finished the book at 2:45 right before I picked the kids up from school. So, to prove what a fun and engaged mom I am, I picked up my kids and drove straight to Chuck E. Cheese. ;) I spent the rediculous amount of money on pizza and tokens just to validate myself. I know it sounds silly but I needed to prove to myself that I'm nothing like the mom in the book and that one does have control over their own situation no matter how they started out in life.
Leave it to my oldest to go through 42 tokens in 20 minutes! That's got to be some kind of record. ;) I played with Drake, we ate, picked out toys, and I just felt so grateful I was born here in the USA at this time in history. God Bless America!
Comments
~~Nik
YOU should write a book! Or at least Lisa, because she's the one who remembers!
Is it a long the same lines as "A Child Called "It"," by David Pelzer?
My mother had one of those childhoods. Lots of poverty, lots of abuse. One of her sisters ( my aunt) is pretty messed up from the whole experience and has the mentality of about a 12 year old.
Paige - I'd love to give you details but I don't think this is the place. ;) My experience wasn't as grim, we always had indoor plumming. {{smile}}