What I Woke Up To

Sunday morning I woke up to my oldest son fully dressed for church including shoes and playing with Drake. I pinched myself several times because I was sure that I was having the sweetest dream.
After breakfast Davis showed me that not only did he get himself dressed, but he laid out both the other boys clothes!!

What brought on this super-son behavior, you ask? Well, we started Davis on some medication over a month ago. It's been trial and error for some time now but we've finally got the right dosage at the right time.
I've been getting up at 5:00 am every morning and giving him a pill. The up again at 7:00 to get the boys ready for school. This way the pill wears off and he goes to sleep on time. I'm really tired, but seeing the changes and the spark back into Davis' eyes has been so worth it to me. His self-concept has risen dramatically and he's so proud of himself!! I couldn't be more impressed with him.
*Please understand, I'm not promoting medicating children. I think you need to do what's best for your kid. ** This is what I've been going through day to day and I feel like I should share it.
*Please understand, I'm not promoting medicating children. I think you need to do what's best for your kid. ** This is what I've been going through day to day and I feel like I should share it.
I can't tell you how wonderful it has been to look in Davis' eyes and see that spark and that little boy I haven't seen since he was 2 years old. He's still struggling in several areas and his autistic tendencies are still there. So, we're still doing everything we've always done to teach and help him develop. I just feel like it has been a surprise and a blessing!
Comments
I have no problem with meds. It sounds like your know your child well and this is obviously working for him. What a great breakthrough!
Glad that the new dosage is working well and his "spark" is back.I'm sure that swells your heart!
diana
I think your boys are simply beautiful!! And I got a little misty eyed when you said that you are seeing a sparkle in his eyes that you haven't seen since he was two. What a feeling that must be for you as his mother. Good for all of you!!!!
So, I'm curious about autism. It's been in the news so much lately b/c of Jenny McCarthy. Do you have your son's story documented on your blog? I'm just curious about how he developed it, how/when he was diagnosed, and what kind of support system you have.
I admire you for how you've handled this (from what little I know about you and your son). I'd love to hear more!
Meredith
It's never an easy decision to medicate your child. Everyone seems to have their own opinion! I am so glad to hear that you as well as Davis are noticing changes!
give yourself a pat on the back! and way to go Davis taking the initiative to get the other boys clothes laid out too! awesome big brother moment!